1. PURPOSE OF THE COMPETITION
PORADA, in cooperation with POLI.design, founded by Politecnico di Milano, announces an international ideas competition to identify new innovative concepts on different types of writing desks & dressing tables, in which the use of solid wood is prevalent (although not necessarily exclusive) and which conveys the values and the identity of the Porada brand.
The wood, whether in natural-finish (preferably in finishes mainly used by the company), or lacquered, can be combined with metal, plate glass, leather, hide leather or fabric.
The submitted designs shall be original and unpublished; they must enhance the use of production technologies and woodworking processes and typical finishing of the solid wood and they must respond to the principle of functionality.
They must comply with the existing safety standards in force, also respecting ergonomic, environmental and sustainable design requirements.
2. TERMS OF PARTICIPATION
The competition is open to:
- Professionals category (P), Italian and/or foreign designers working independently or employed by companies (if duly authorized by their company).
- Students category (S), Italian and/or foreign students enrolled in Bachelor's or Master's degrees and recent graduates.
For both categories, group entries are also permitted. in this case, the members of the group must appoint a leader who will be the sole person in charge and referent towards POLI.design.
Upon entry the competition, participants unconditionally accept the terms of this competition contained herein. If these terms are not, in whole or in part, respected by the participant, their design may be disqualified.
Members of the Jury, their relatives, employees of Porada and POLI.design, may not take part.
Projects must be original and unpublished and exclusively developed for the competition.
Each participant (or group) is permitted to submit one project only.
Participation in the competition is anonymous. Each participant must create a numeric code (a six-digit number, with no digit repeated more than twice, and not in sequence) to be used to identify the files mentioned in art. 4.
For the Professionals category: add the letter 'P' as a prefix, which indicates the Professionals category.
For the Students category: add the 'letter S' as a prefix, which indicates the Student category.
3. APPLICATION FOR PARTICIPATION
The application for participation in the competition and the submission of the required documents needs to be carried through online procedure via the site:
The application form must contain the personal details of the participant, tax id number, home address, mobile and home telephone numbers, email address, an explicit declaration of having understood the rules of this competition and their unconditional acceptance and, for the Student category, the name of the university, campus, course of study and year of attendance.
The code and/first name/s of the participant/s must be shown exclusively on the application form, no name should appear on the other documents presented, under penalty of disqualification.
4. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED
The documents must be delivered in digital format via the electronic procedure above within the deadline specified in section 5.
Each participant (or group) must submit:
- a brief report (max 3000 characters) outlining the motivations, the general concept, design features of the project and a description of the materials required.
The pdf file of the report is to be presented in portrait orientation on ISO-A4 paper (21 x 29.7 cm) and must be named 'relazione_codice'.
The header needs to exclusively contain the alphanumeric code referred to in section 2 and any name/title of the project;
- technical drawings consisting of three boards in landscape orientation on ISO-A3 (42 x 29.7 cm), in pdf format, composed on a layout of the board, which can be downloaded from the site http://www.porada-design-award.polidesign.net.
The boards will contain:
- Board 1: an overview, reference scenarios and modes of use, mood board, general concept of the object in the context of use and sources of inspiration;
- Board 2: technical drawings: plans, elevations, sections, axonometric projections, exploded views, design drawings listed in the appropriate scale and specifics of the details and material choices, which are considered important;
- Board 3: representation of the object, rendering, photos of the model.
The presentation boards should be combined into a single pdf file named 'tavole_codice' (maximum file size 5 Mb).
- a preview image of the project, summarizing the salient features (which may correspond to the render or another image deemed important) and it will be the first image viewed by the judges to identify the project, in jpg format (maximum file size 1 Mb).
The file must be uploaded exclusively through the online procedure as described above (server connections for downloading files or files sent by regular or certified email will not be accepted).
The entries required in digital format, without exception, must be received no later than November 9th, 2018.
The jury is composed of the following members with voting rights:
- A representative of the ADI – Associazione per il Disegno Industriale
- A representative of POLI.design
- Three Professional Architects/Designers
- Three sectoral press representatives
- Two representatives of the Company Porada
The deliberations of the jury will remain reserved, while the final report, containing the list of the winners, as well as the finalists and honourable mentions, will be made public.
The Jury decides by a majority vote and its decision is final.
The deliberations of the jury will conclude no later than December 1st , 2018.
7. ASSESSMENT CRITERIA
The selection and evaluation of the designs will take account their originality, the degree of innovation and research of new design solutions related to the typical woodworking processing of solid wood.
Experimentation related to materials and surface finishes, the ability to define and anticipate scenarios of use and innovative concepts of use of wooden furniture and contemporary furnishing accessories with particular regard to typological, technological and morphological determinations.
8. PRIZES AND HONOURABLE MENTIONS
The total prize money of € 10,000.00 will be allocated as follows:
1st prize € 3,000
2nd prize € 2,000
3rd prize € 1,000
1st prize € 2,000
2nd prize € 1,200
3rd prize € 800
Porada reserves the right to produce prototypes of the winning projects and to possibly put them into production.
9. AUTHORISATION AND OWNERSHIP RIGHTS OF THE DESIGNS
Competition participants maintain ownership and the rights of exploitation of their works.
Porada reserves the right to stipulate a contract for the industrial exploitation of the projects with the designers of the winning or finalist projects.
The participants grant Porada the option to use the winning projects for one year from the date of the jury's report.
Within this period, the company will evaluate whether to put the design into production and in that case, the economic agreement with the designers will be regulated by a specific contract. Porada agrees not to modify the works presented in any way without the approval of the designer.
Porada also has the right to request a one-year option on projects which are not awarded prizes, upon payment of the rights to be agreed between the parties.
10. INFORMATION AND PUBLICATION OF THE RESULTS
The outcome of the jury's evaluation will be announced to the winners within the deadlines set and communicated via email.
Porada will present the initiative to the trade press and will communicate the results of the competition during an event, for which information will be provided in due course.
All competition participants also authorize the company to exhibit their projects in public (exhibitions and events of various kinds) and to publish their designs in a catalogue or in trade media publications; nothing will be due for this, apart from the obligation to cite the designer(s).
With regard to the Italian law 675/96 concerning the protection of privacy of persons and other subjects regarding the processing of personal data, the participants in the competition hereafter authorize the organization of the competition to process the personal data in question for the purposes of organizing the competition itself.